I then cut a piece of plywood that we had in the garage to 36x36. I started using spray adhesive but found that to be to much of a pain so I switched to mod podge. First I painted a layer of mod podge in small sections (about 3-4 squares at a time) laid the squares tight to each other then brushed a light coat of mod podge on top, I used a small plastic scrapper and rubbed the mod podge around to give it a different textured look.
I let that dry over night,
then I used some dark stain my mom had and painted a heavy coat,wiped off and let dry. I did this about 3 times (until I got the aged look I wanted)
As for the edges (frame) I just hot glues some gross grain ribbon that I happened to find at the dollar store in a solid dark purple that matched perfect. I'm not sure if I am going to make a frame for it or not maybe down the road, as I have said before I have little patience for long projects and I am ready to get this on the wall in my living room!
All together this project only cost me a dollar! Gotta love that!
(paint chips - free / plywood, hot glue, stain, and mod podge - on hand / ribbon - dollar
This is by far the largest project I have ever attempted.)Check out the link parties I participate in HERE